S.O.S. Mathematics CyberBoard

Your Resource for mathematics help on the web!
It is currently Thu, 23 Oct 2014 17:28:20 UTC

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Calculus (13)
PostPosted: Sat, 21 Jun 2008 21:36:59 UTC 
Member of the 'S.O.S. Math' Hall of Fame

Evaluate: $\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{1}{n}\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}(n-k)\int_{\frac{k}{n}}^{\frac{k+1}{n}}\frac{dx}{x^4 + 1}.
.......................................................................................................
Remark: The limit is a special case of a general result. Have fun! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 05:30:54 UTC 

I know the result of that integral and how to calculate the limit but... how do I put all those symbols that you used :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 05:40:11 UTC 

illusion: if you click the quote button above commutative's post, then you can see how he wrote all those symbols.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 23:02:32 UTC 

I also recommend this link illusion.

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 16:11:33 UTC 

Haven't solved it, but am I right in thinking it can be 'simplified' to:

$\lim_{n\to \infty} \left[ \left(\frac{n^{2}-n+1}{n}\int_{0}^{1} \frac{dx}{x^{4}+1}\right) - \left(\frac{1}{n}\sum_{k=1}^{n-1} \int_{0}^{kn^{-1}} \frac{dx}{x^{4}+1}}\right)\right]$

Post subject: Re: Calculus (13)
PostPosted: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 00:43:37 UTC 

I think I have it
Spoiler:
$\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{1}{n}\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}(n-k)\int_{\frac{k}{n}}^{\frac{k+1}{n}}\frac{dx}{x^4 + 1}
Make the substitution $ \alpha = nx, \; dx = \frac{d \alpha}{n} so it is transformed into $ \lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{1}{n}\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}(n-k)
\frac{1}{n} \int_{k}^{k+1} \frac{d \alpha}{1 + (\frac{\alpha}{n})^{4}}
The integral converges to 1 as n approaches infinity, since $ \lim_{n \to \infty}\int_{k}^{k+1} \frac{d \alpha}{1 + (\frac{\alpha}{n})^{4}} = \int_{k}^{k+1} \frac{d \alpha}{1 + 0} = k+1-k = 1
So now we have $ \lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{1}{n^{2}}\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}(n-k) \times 1
The sum is $ \sum_{k=0}^{n-1}(n-k) = (\sum_{k=0}^{n-1} n) - (\sum_{k=0}^{n-1} k) = (n \sum_{k=0}^{n-1} 1) - \frac{1}{2} (n-1+1)(n-1) = nn - \frac{1}{2} n(n-1) = \frac{1}{2}(nn+n)
Dividing this by nn and taking the limit as n approaches infinity gives the answer as 1/2.

Some people live their lives by the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid), but I prefer a slightly different one:
Make It Fun And Complicate It Further, or MIFACIF. Ever try and find the volume of a cube in spherical coordinates?

PostPosted: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 00:53:41 UTC 

simplethinker wrote:
I think I have it
The integral converges to 1 as n approaches infinity, since $ \lim_{n \to \infty}\int_{k}^{k+1} \frac{d \alpha}{1 + (\frac{\alpha}{n})^{4}} = \int_{k}^{k+1} \frac{d \alpha}{1 + 0} = k+1-k = 1

Doesn't k depend on n?

PostPosted: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 01:27:59 UTC 

Zone Ranger wrote:
simplethinker wrote:
I think I have it

Doesn't k depend on n?

k itself doesn't depend on n, only the limit of the sum. I split the equation into two parts with the basic property of limits that if $ \lim_{n \to a} p(n) and \lim_{n \to a} q(n) exist then \lim_{n \to a} p(n)q(n) = (\lim_{n \to a} p(n))(\lim_{n \to a} q(n))

Some people live their lives by the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid), but I prefer a slightly different one:
Make It Fun And Complicate It Further, or MIFACIF. Ever try and find the volume of a cube in spherical coordinates?

PostPosted: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 02:10:24 UTC 

simplethinker wrote:
Zone Ranger wrote:
simplethinker wrote:
I think I have it

Doesn't k depend on n?

k itself doesn't depend on n, only the limit of the sum. I split the equation into two parts with the basic property of limits that if $ \lim_{n \to a} p(n) and \lim_{n \to a} q(n) exist then \lim_{n \to a} p(n)q(n) = (\lim_{n \to a} p(n))(\lim_{n \to a} q(n))

How did you get the limit next to the integral?

PostPosted: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 03:22:25 UTC 

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "the limit next to the integral". If you mean how did I get that particular limit as part of the equation:
$ \lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{1}{n}\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}(n-k)
\frac{1}{n} \int_{k}^{k+1} \frac{d \alpha}{1 + (\frac{\alpha}{n})^{4}} = \lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{1}{n^{2}}\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}(n-k) \int_{k}^{k+1} \frac{d \alpha}{1 + (\frac{\alpha}{n})^{4}} =
$ ( \lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{1}{n^{2}}\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}(n-k) ) \times ( \lim_{n \to \infty} \int_{k}^{k+1} \frac{d \alpha}{1 + (\frac{\alpha}{n})^{4}} )

PostPosted: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 03:24:14 UTC 

simplethinker wrote:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "the limit next to the integral". If you mean how did I get that particular limit as part of the equation:
$ \lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{1}{n}\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}(n-k)
\frac{1}{n} \int_{k}^{k+1} \frac{d \alpha}{1 + (\frac{\alpha}{n})^{4}} = \lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{1}{n^{2}}\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}(n-k) \int_{k}^{k+1} \frac{d \alpha}{1 + (\frac{\alpha}{n})^{4}} =
$ ( \lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{1}{n^{2}}\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}(n-k) ) \times ( \lim_{n \to \infty} \int_{k}^{k+1} \frac{d \alpha}{1 + (\frac{\alpha}{n})^{4}} )

you can't do that...it doesn't work that way..also the answer isn't 1/2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 03:37:52 UTC 

It doesn't work that way? It says it right here (on the SOS math site) as well as mathworld, wikipedia and one of my old calculus books. Since both limits exist it's valid. Granted my answer might not be correct, but I don't think it's that step where I messed up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 03:40:38 UTC 

simplethinker wrote:
It doesn't work that way? It says it right here (on the SOS math site) as well as mathworld, wikipedia and one of my old calculus books. Since both limits exist it's valid. Granted my answer might not be correct, but I don't think it's that step where I messed up.

simplethinker wrote:
...\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{1}{n^{2}}\sum_{k=0}^{n-1}(n-k) \int_{k}^{k+1} \frac{d \alpha}{1 + (\frac{\alpha}{n})^{4}} =

you cant pass the limit through this sum...that is the rule you are breaking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 03:54:38 UTC 

Ah, that makes sense. I knew it was too easy :D
Thanks for catching it. I was playing around with the different parts and didn't pay attention to the rest of the equation. Now that I think about it, since the integral depends on 'k' I couldn't have split it up into a product.
I still have this feeling that taking the limit makes the integral equal one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 03:56:57 UTC 

simplethinker wrote:
Ah, that makes sense. I knew it was too easy :D
Thanks for catching it. I was playing around with the different parts and didn't pay attention to the rest of the equation. Now that I think about it, since the integral depends on 'k' I couldn't have split it up into a product.
I still have this feeling that taking the limit makes the integral equal one.

the answer is close to 1/2...

try finding upper and lower bounds for the integral part